The Masquerade
It looks like you haven't signed in yet!

If you aren't a member, sign up today!
The Masquerade
It looks like you haven't signed in yet!

If you aren't a member, sign up today!
The Masquerade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

-a t h o s-

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

-a t h o s- - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 am

I can help you. Please forgive me. Alan was confused by this. His senses were beginning to betray him though he swore he felt his pain fade for a moment as Helena looked him over. She had careful, modest hands. He was glad he made her stay behind.

Alan did his best to mumble a response as he gradually lost control of his speech. "What? Helena, of course you can help me. You're really something special, if you're actually there that is. My head is still killing me. Don't apologize. It's okay. I took a bad fall but I'm fine. I'm fine. Really I'm O.K. Why did you get the spoon? Helena, I'm no good at cooking, and my arm is broken. Hold on, what's going to hurt a lot?" Helena set his arm, and he cried in agony.

What she said about his knee scared him more than the bullet lodged in his arm. Alan had been limping just fine. He wondered what else he missed in the haze of adrenaline.

For a moment, he felt much more at ease laying across Sion's bar. It was only a matter of time before he ended up there. See, not so special.

Alan found Helena's words puzzling again when she asked him to get rid of his shirt. Weird? Makes sense to me. What's weird? After staring blankly for a moment, he gave a confident smirk. Despite her strengths she was still just a girl and just as young as he was. "Helena, I don't think I can do that with my arm in this sling. Just cut it. I've got other shirts. It's fine." He unsheathed his short sword with his right hand and tried to extend it out in his caretaker's direction, but he lost his grip and it clattered to rest on the floor. "Shit. Sion. Where are you? I'm sorry about the bar. I'll help clean it up later I promise. Hold me to this one I mean it. Damn drugs. Things are just making me worse. How am i gonna fight without my knee cap, man? I'm all fucking.. I'm.. I'm alright. Just fix my knee, okay? I'm sure you went to a good school Helena. You're very good at this. I don't just think you're beautiful. Really, you did a good job. I'm sorry I screamed like that but it fucking hurt. I'm sorry though. And I'm sorry we left you back here but I had to. You would understand. I'm really sorry. I'm sorry about the bike and the blood. Fuck. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't stop the truck! I couldn't do anything. It was too fast. I'll try again though. I've got it this time. They'll be fine I just need to warn them. I'll tell them and they'll get out of the way sooner. But they're so slow. Look out god Damnit! It's coming! Look! Why won't you move?! Move! If you don't move it'll kill you! Can't you see you're going to die!"

Alan ran out of breath. He put his useful hand over his eyes and went quiet.
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Helena Penelope Alabaster

Helena took the short sword. "You're right, they'll get out of the way next time. We'll both warn them." Helena ignored her face going red when he said she was beautiful. And then she ignored when she was straight crimson when she cut off his shirt. "I can fix your knee, Alan. But... this is going to hurt a lot too. No warning, okay?" Putting down the swords and resting her hands on his knee, Helena felt how it was dislocated. He must have really fallen hard on his side, because it was out and to the right, leaning towards her. Gritting her teeth, Helena placed both palms on the knee. She would need more leverage. Kneeling on a high stool, she placed her palms on the knee again. She closed her eyes. Wait. She opened her eyes. 'Yeah, dumb ass. Close your eyes.' Helena breathed deeply out her nostrils. "Okay." Quickly, she applied pressure to Alan's knee, quickly, until she heard a pop. 'Down and to the left.' she thought. Then grabbing Alan's shin, she swiftly pushed the knee and thigh together, making sure they were both securely in place.

Holy shit. She did it. She thought. It seemed sound. There was a bit more peace in Alan's body, though that could be the morphine. He was covering his eyes though. "This'll be cold," she said, before she placed the bag of ice on his bruised ribs. He had said his head hurt, didn't he? That could be a concussion. She could check for that. That was so easy it was a relief.

"Alan?" She took the hand that he was covering his face with and placed it on the bag of ice instead. "Alan, can you turn your head and look at me?"
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm

((please note. I am in no way a medical person and I am simply assuming how this stuff would be treated. Hence probable inaccuracy.))
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Alan hardly noticed his sword tear through the fabric that barred Helena from his injuries, but the feeling of her hands searching for his knee helped immensely. It was something to ground himself in, clearly real. He returned to the world, lucid once again. Now, he realized he had been screaming at a dream and kept his hand over his eyes.

When Helena told him she was about to fix his knee his whole body grew tense, anticipating the pain. For a brief moment she was pushing. It was excruciating, but he didn't yell this time. Partly because it was less of a shock the second time around, but mostly because he didn't have the energy. With a sudden pop came a rush of relief. He had legs again. Nothing a brace can't fix. The ice on his chest was the final touch in bringing Alan back to his usual self.

Alan kept his eyes closed as Helena moved his hand to hold the ice. Then she asked him to look at her.

Slowly he turned his head to where it sounded like her voice was coming from. He opened his eyes, finally, and was met by a calm, faded blue. He loved that color. Every now and then, just a few days a year, the sky would clear up enough during the day so that it would turn that color. Grey would give way to comforting blue for a few hours. Many of the best things Alan could remember happened on those days. Whatever healing Helena's hands couldn't do, her eyes surely could.

He was so distracted by the blue, he nearly missed how red her face was. Alan smiled. "So, what do you think? Am I gonna make it?"
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Helena smirked. He was looking in her eyes like Marcius used to. Like he was content to stay locked in her gaze. "Yeah, looks like you're in no apparent danger. Just one more thing, though. Can you follow my finger?" Helena positioned her finger in front of Alan's face. She moved it to the left, right, and so on, watching as he followed it with his eyes.

Eyes were such a weird thing. They can hold such expression and trigger some pretty intense feelings, and then some times they are completely blank. Impossible to interpret. She had never liked her eyes. Still doesn't, really. Her parents showed everything in their eyes, her eyes, whether it was pride, disgust, or disappointment. You can never hide anything with blue eyes. Brown eyes, though? They could express warmth and comfort, but still not give too many things away.

Now green eyes... you don't need grass when you have those eyes. They aren't pale and cold like blue eyes, and they have the depth and warmth of brown eyes. Helena realized then that she was supposed to be checking for signs of a concussion. Right.
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Alan watched the girl's index finger dance about for a few seconds. The small graceful gesture hypnotized him for a moment, but he remembered a bitter piece of information and snapped out of it. Taking her hand with his, stopping the exercise, he locked eyes with her again. That cool blue brought him peace beyond his physical pain. It made him feel like it was possible for everything to be alright He wished she could look at him like that as she worked on his injuries.

"Helena, I still have a bullet in my arm. I know I've already put you through a lot. But, when you're ready I need you to take it out of me." This time he almost welcomed the pain, the feeling of Helena mending his body, bringing him back. Despite his physical suffering, he realized this moment would never happen again, and he savored it. He was actually thankful. He couldn't ask for a better near death experience.
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Helena jumped as Alan took her hand. He looked at her with a frightening intensity. A bullet in his arm? How could he expect her to take it out? She knew basic medical knowledge, she was no surgeon. She couldn't.

But if she didn't, his arm could never be the same again. Would probably never heal properly. The bone probably stopped the bullet, it should be in the muscle surrounding the bone. It would be reachable by tweezers. She could sterilize them with alcohol and make a small incision with a small knife, opening the wound a little bit more. Sterilize the wound again and then she could sew him up easily, she's known how to sew since she was five.

It would be excruciating for Alan.

Could she be responsible that much pain?

"Alan... I can do it. But it will be insufferable unless we can get you more morphine. And I don't know if I can do it without it. I'm not... I'm not qualified for this. So you can risk a lot of pain and maybe your arm to get it out, or I can sew it in. Either way it will hurt. A lot."
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Alan noticed the girl jump, and hoped it was because his wounds intimidated her rather than his demeanor. He tried a little harder to talk her into searching for the bullet. "You weren't qualified to pop my knee back in to place either. And if you screwed that up then I'd be really upset with you. You're right. You can do this. If you have to cut or put your finger in the wound, do it. You can't leave it there." Alan may have been able to keep the souvenir if it was in his shoulder or another fleshy part of his body, but it was going to keep his bone from healing if it stayed where it was. He wasn't very curious about the type of person he would be minus an arm.

"I already used Sion's morphine. Mine is in my bag, in the garage with my mask. Get it. Don't worry you won't overdose me or anything." He tried to sit up and was immediately sent back down. "Shit. Really though. I mean it. You may have to use your hands."
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Alan was clearly determined to get the bullet out of his arm. Helena bit her lip. He had more morphine, but she needed tweezers. She couldn't stick her fingers in his arm, she'd probably faint. And that would do no good for anybody. "Okay, Alan. I'll get it out. I promise.

"Just... relax. Don't try to sit up." Helena went to the garage where Alan's bag was. In it she saw the mask, a bit messed up from the accident, and in one of the pockets she found the syringe with morphine. Searching a bit more, she found a small pocket knife on one of the outer pockets. She opened it. There was a knife, a file, small scissors, and a small pair of tweezers. Brilliant. This would do.

Rummaging around the garage, maybe killing time, maybe looking for something that she'd know when she found it, she found a bow with some latex gloves. A huge relief washed over her. Worst come to worst, at least Helena knew she wouldn't be infecting Alan with her germs. Taking a pair from the box, Helena went back to the bar. She washed the knife and tweezers with soap and water, she washed her hands, the gloves, the tip of the syringe, anything that needed cleaning. She would have dumped Alan in the sink if she could. Cleaning was comforting, she supposed. It made everything more normal.

Grabbing the alcohol she used earlier, Helena brought her tools to Alan. She handed him the syringe. "Here you go. I think. I think I'm all ready. Shit. If I mess this up I am so sorry." Slipping on the gloves, Helena swabbed the wound with alcohol again. "Okay. Whenever you're ready."
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Alan looked at Helena as he jabbed the second dose of morphine into his thigh. More relief. But, as he grew calmer, Helena became more uncertain of herself. She was going of instinct and good guesses. He knew he was asking too much, but he had no other choice. She was his best bet, and he could have done a lot worse. She chooses today of all days to drop into my life. He skipped the cliches and typical reassuring words.

"Helena, you belong here."
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Helena smirked. "Let's hope you still feel that way about me when I'm done." She took the knife in her hand. Poising it over the skin around the wound, Helena paused. It was going to bleed like a motherfucker. Wasn't it. Taking a deep breath, Helena made the first incision, a inch above the bullet hole, and continued it an inch below.

Yeah. It bled. Gotta move fast then, right? Switching to the tweezers, Helena felt the wound with her fingers. Opening it as wide as she could, and not focusing that she had her hand in somebodies muscle tissue, Helena felt for where the bullet might be. The muscle was quite ripped to the right of the wound, so Helena felt that area out with her tweezers.

This was the hardest thing she had ever done. She still didn't know how she managed to find the bullet. It was pretty lodged in there, though. She might have caused some muscle damage getting it out, but as she pulled the bullet from the bloody wound, she honestly was just relieved she didn't kill him. Well, yet. She placed the bullet on the counter and grabbed the alcohol towel.

Swabbing the wound down, again, cleaning is comforting, Helena gathered the thread and needle she had collected. This was weird. Honestly this was so fucking weird to be sewing a wound at a bar. She could write books. She repeated the stitch, under and over, under and over, until the wound was just a seam. Almost like an explanation point.

Helena. Master of medicine. Maybe. "Okay. Okay. I'm done. I think. Wanna keep it?" She nudged her head toward the bullet.
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:55 pm

"I do", he answered, looking at the deformed piece of led that destroyed his arm and nearly killed him. I'm going to keep that for a long time.

Once his wound was sewn, Alan's pain faded to a manageable level. His muscles finally relaxed after the combination of relief from having the bullet out of his arm and the drugs in his veins. Helena had done it flawlessly, and this didn't surprise him. He was right. She belonged there. What did surprise him was how she used her fingers to spread his wound. The girl had quite a stomach. It caused a mind numbing amount of pain, but Alan saw it in a different light. "You know, Helena, I can say with confidence that you're the first women to put her hand in a bullet wound of mine. We just met and you already have my blood all over you." He laughed tiredly, but smiling.

Alan still knew very about Helena. He could have cared less earlier that evening, but now he was past the point of curiosity. She didn't seem like she was headed for the door yet, but he wasn't about to chance it.

"Helena, stay here tonight. You can have my room upstairs. You can't go back out there. Not yet. Besides, I need to properly thank you for putting me back together again." He propped himself up on his right elbow, trying to show a little strength. "I know I'm bloody and busted up and half-naked and drugged, but we should do dinner." He looked down at the neat seam in his arm. "It's the least I can do, and I'm obviously not going to be going out again soon. So, you can be sure I wont go running out on you."
Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Helena grimaced at his comment about her hand in his wound, "Believe me, I'm pretty sure I nearly passed out like 500 times." Pulling off the latex gloves and throwing them out in the garbage can, Helena washed her hands thoroughly in the sink. She froze when he mentioned dinner. And her staying here. In his room.

Helena is not very versed on guys.

I mean, she's been around them, but whatever, she's not used to this.

"Dinner is cool. Are you sure you can manage it, though? You're not exactly in prime condition to be wine-ing and dining." She smirked in his direction, remarking on his half nakedness (though she wasn't complaining) and his, you know, recent surgery.
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Alan gave her a goofy look and silently thanked the morphine for allowing him to keep his lighthearted attitude despite serious injuries. He spoke softly, still laying on the counter. "You don't think so? Well, Helena I must say I am thoroughly offended. Not really, I see what you mean. I'm in pain. I'm tired. I might drool a little bit, not very becoming of a man on a date with a pretty girl, I know. But, I bet you've never done surgery on a guy and had dinner with him on the same night. I look like I just got out of a war zone, sure, that's because I did, but that's what makes it memorable, right? I definitely can't sleep. We need to be careful about my head injury, so help me stay up. Sion is very skilled in the ways of food preparation, I assure you, and I'll do my best to be charming."

Alan, smiling uncontrollably now, would swear the drugs had nothing to do with it. Helena brought about a sort a blind optimism in him. Normally he would be spiraling into a depression because of his inability to go on operations and fight, but he didn't mind this time. This time he had something else to focus on, something simpler and easier. Something natural. Something peaceful.

Auburn fields and pale blue skies. Grass was just a piece.

No, definitely not the drugs.
Back to top Go down
Noir
Master of Ceremonies
Noir

Location : Where you'll have roses for years. Where you'll apologize to no one.

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Sion ------ DiBenetto
----------------------------------------
As we were, so perfect, so happy...

Sion nodded in approval at how well Helena handled surgery. The girl had trained hands, remarkably steady despite inexperience and the mounting pressure of the situation. Add that to the simmering chemistry present between her and the younger musketeer, and normally, one wouldn't have ideal conditions for a proper procedure. But the bullet had been extracted cleanly, and the only casualties were a bottle of whiskey (whose contents had been sloshed all over Alan and the bar counter) and the counter and stools (which were now soaked in red).

Dammit, neither one of those were cheap.

"I'd say you more than earned your spot here, Helena. I only ask that you wait a little bit longer before we can make it official. Things have been a mess tonight, and we still have a few things we need to find out from..." Sion glanced over at the door, his mind wandering to the garage.

"...well, from our cargo. Can you guys tidy up in here? I'm going to see what I can get out of our 'package'."

Sion exited the bar and made his way back to the garage, where the girl sat, right where Sion had left her. Her young blue eyes glared at him reproachfully, the bloodstains on her head and white dress now dry. She didn't seem to phased by the injuries, or even by the situation she was in. Where there was supposed to be terror, there was nothing but a pissed off expression.

The musketeer crossed over in front of her, squatting down to her level. "So, you got a name?"

"Iris. And you're a musketeer, correct?" The girl, Iris, looked Sion over.

"What gave us away? The bulletproof masks or the trail of destruction we left behind?"

"Just as crude as the officials made you out to be. I'm surprised you actually had the means to subdue a heavily armed Ragnarok squad with only two men on bikes. Your image in the eye of the public is suffering, though."

"Yeah, well, we're working on that part. Your men don't exactly make it easy for us to look like the good guys."

"Are you the good guys, though? You're trying to take down a regime that gave an otherwise lawless hunk of land power and structure. They built this city. Would you tear all of it down?"

The question was one Sion had been posed before, but never from a young girl. "How old are you, again?"

"How old do I look?"

"How old do you...? Ten, I guess?"

"Then I'm ten. It keeps things simple that way. Though I suppose I'll have to explain to you what all of that means. Like I said, I'm a willing captive." the girl made a movement to shrug, making her cuffs rattle loudly.

Sion looked her in the eye, completely thrown off now by how this girl was acting. He drew his gun slowly, pointing it at her. "What...are you?"

Iris stared down the barrel of Sion's revolver, her gaze unwavering.

"I'm the beginning."

They remember only our smiles. That's all they see.
Back to top Go down
https://themasquerade.forumotion.com
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Helena couldn't help but smile. He didn't really have to try to be charming. "Okay, we can have dinner. But It's probably not wise to eat on this surface at the moment," she joked. Taking a towel from behind the counter, Helena began to mop up the mess that covered the bar and the stools and whatever else. It would need to be disinfected, preferably without alcohol, but Helena was sure Sion had some kind of cleaning supplies, right?

Helena picked up Alan's slit shirt. She tossed it to him. "You might want to put on a shirt maybe. One that doesn't fit like a vest."
Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Alan looked down at his wounds, now partially hidden by what was left of his shirt. "You sure you don't want to keep it?", he asked, balling up what had been reduced to a bloody rag with his right hand, "I'd feel bad if I was the only one who got a souvenir tonight." He placed the deformed bullet in his pocket and stood up slowly, grimacing the whole way. His arm was well secured. Most of the pain was coming from his midsection, so he moved as carefully as he could, making sure he didn't stab himself with his own ribs. He found a seat in a backed chair in the corner and eased into it. "I think this is as far as i can go, Helena. My jacket should be in the garage though", he said, gesturing to the door Sion had just disappeared into. "I don't think it has that many holes in it. Oh, let Mr. D know he's invited to dinner. We need to convince him to cook somehow."

Just as he was about to put his head back and close his eyes, Alan spotted his kopis still on the counter. He had only seen it on his hip or in his hand since it was given to him. He slept with that blade, and here he was, staring at it from across the room. Has to be the morphine, not the mysterious circle girl cleaning my blood from the bar.

Definitely the drugs.
Back to top Go down
Noir
Master of Ceremonies
Noir

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 am

Sion ------ DiBenetto

Sion was silent for a while. The beginning? What did that mean? Beginning of what, exactly? This was a rare opportunity. Right in front of him was a direct link to valuable Ragnarok information, minus the effort and technical prowess it would take to hack into their systems. If he got to the bottom of what this girl knew, he might hold information that potentially could turn the war around. But first...

"Explain this whole 'willing captive' thing to me," Sion said, straightening up and starting to pace back and forth in front of the girl.

"Haven't you ever been told not to look a gift horse in the mouth?"

"I'm doing it anyway. Like Alan said, you could have ran away when you had the chance. Why?"

"Because I don't have much longer on my rope anyway. I figure before they shut me down, I might as well throw in my lot to the people that didn't torture and experiment on me."

Sion's eyes widened slightly. The situation was getting more and more bizarre. He understood that this girl was important to the Ragnarok cause. Otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten an armed escort. But she said before they "shut her down". What exactly was she?

"Are you...human?" Sion asked, knowing just how stupid the words sounded coming out of his mouth. By now though, he had learned never to discount anything. They lived in a world where giant bodies of water had become nothing but endless dust bowls, and that the genetic makeup of almost anything could be replicated and synthesized in a lab. Anything could be possible.

"At the core, yes," Iris nodded, "Albeit not unchanged. I'm smarter. More adaptable. And if I could live a few more years, maybe I'd be stronger. I can take hits a lot better than even you can right now. So yes, I am human. But I'm more."

Sion was silent. Genetic augmentation...on humans? It was something that modern science was working towards for the sake of medicine. But here was an example of what Ragnarok did with the research. Right in front of him was a super-soldier, right out of a science-fiction novel.

"I'm not perfect, though. If anything, I'm the baseline. They succeeded in improving my overall ability and potential, but they couldn't shake the side effects. I'm a glass cannon. There's power here, but I'll shatter in an instant. Not too long for now, actually. This degree of genetic alteration doesn't agree with the body I'm inhabiting. They were taking me to another facility, so that they could learn from what was left of me after I shut down..." Iris explained, her voice startlingly steady for someone about to die. "...it's a shame, you know? I didn't always have all this. They experiment on normal children to observe how augmented ability progresses with a person's lifestyle. They took me earlier on, but not so early that I didn't have a childhood. Now, knowing all I do, seeing all I have, it seems like that's nothing but a faraway dream now. And in the end, I can't even die like a normal person, or even like a soldier. I just fade away, and they get to learn from my corpse."

"I don't know what to tell you," Sion murmured, his fist clenching slightly as he listened to her. Not being able to live normally...he could resonate with that. And now, she couldn't even die the way she would want to. "That's something no one should have to give away."

The room was silent for a moment before Sion made his way next to her, undoing the handcuffs on her wrist. She looked up at him, a silent thank you crossing between the two pairs of eyes.

"Why our side?" Sion asked, needing that one last answer more than anything.

"Because there's real freedom there," Iris said, breathing slowly, her eyes slowly closing as she lowered herself to a sitting position on the ground, "It may not always bode well for the people that hold it, but there's a freedom to chose what you really want out of life. It's something that I didn't have. I would much rather have people down the line from me be able to hold that in their own hands and do with it what they want."

Sion nodded, sitting down next to her and placing a hand on her shoulder. "Do you have too much time left?"

Iris shook her head slowly. She didn't seem like someone about to die. There was an eerie calm there. A content peace. "No. I think I'm done now. I hope you learned what you wanted to learn. Make good use of it."

With that, she fell silent abruptly, her head drooping onto her chest. Sion picked her up and laid her on the table in the center of the garage, his mind searching for a place to give her a proper burial. First, though, he would have to tell Alan everything. He placed a hand on Iris's forehead.

"Sleep well."

He turned from her body and made his way over to the door, shutting off the lights before turning to look at her still frame, shrouded in the comfort of the dark.

He felt a pang in his chest, and slammed his fist violently against the wall.

Back to top Go down
TheFroof
Regular
TheFroof

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Helena went to the back to find Sion and some disinfectant, and didn't really know how to react to what greeted her. Sion slammed his fist on the wall, and Helena nearly jumped out of her skin. "You...you okay? Did the girl say anything bad?" She wanted to comfort him, he looked so hurt. Like he'd lost, somehow. "Look, Alan and I were going to eat. He needs to keep up his blood sugar since he lost a lot of blood. Do you want me to make you anything?" Helena peered over Sion's shoulder at the girl in the corner. She was slumped over, not moving, not speaking, not even opening her eyes. She seemed...
Helena rushed to her, "Sion what happened?! Did you..." Helena bit her lip. She knelt by the girl, feeling for a pulse or any heart beat. It wasn't her place to be angry at Sion for possibly killing this girl. She was probably an enemy after all. But a child?
"What do we have to do?" She looked at the girl. She was so pretty, so delicate looking. She looked like porcelain. It was strange, but Helena felt like she had known this girl, seen her everywhere, on every street corner, but yet Helena couldn't describe her face as she looked away.

((sorry guys, i've been in the bathroom for the past two weeks. what'd i miss?))
Back to top Go down
Noir
Master of Ceremonies
Noir

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Sion ------ DiBenetto

Sion drew his hand away from the wall as Helena walked into the room, but not soon enough to prevent her from seeing the heated show of emotion. He watched as she crossed the room to examine the body, checking for a pulse that Sion already knew wasn't there. The knowledge was a gaping void in his chest. There was nothing. He felt nothing. He shook his head numbly, looking into their newest member's eyes after she asked him if he was the one that killed the girl.

He hadn't been, but would things have been better if he was? He didn't take her life. His war did.

He stood in silence for a while after she asked what they were going to do with the body. A hand slipped into his jacket pocket, withdrawing a tattered box of cigarettes. He drew one out with his mouth, taking a lighter with his other hand and drawing the tip close to the flame. He inhaled slowly, feeling the smoke filling his lungs, then letting it all go in a slow, steady stream. It numbed him more. That was good.

"Nothing," he answered slowly, "Not for now. I'll bury the body later...but for now, I have to fill Alan in."

He made a move to leave the room, but stopped right before he did, looking back at Helena.

"You've really proven yourself tonight. You saved Alan's hide and held out admirably. I won't deny that you definitely have the traits a Musketeer needs. But this...this is reality," he gestured towards the body before taking another drag, his cigarette glowing red in the dark, "Not everyone that dies in this war is close to your heart. You don't know everyone's name. You don't know their lives...how they lived...who they loved...but we never forget that for a short while, in the grand scale of things, their heart still pulsed with life once. Always remember that, no matter what it is you do while you're with us. Remember to say your goodbyes, even to those you never got the chance to give a 'hello'."

With that, he left the garage, finding Alan in the bar. He sat down at a side table with him,nothing the blood splattered all over the floor, the discarded sword, and the scattered tables. The place was a grand mess.

"Hey," he said, finally greeting the other musketeer, "You pulled through."

He kept his eyes low, trying not to appear shaken.

Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm

"Yeah. I did.", Alan replied softly, trying to breathe as gently as possible, "Helena is, well, a surprise. You sure you don't want her to look at that?" Alan nodded to the bandage on Sion's arm. "I highly recommend her nursing skills."

Alan couldn't help smiling as he watched his friend smoke with the bar in total disarray for his backdrop. "You were always pretty damn good at looking cool.", Alan said as he let out a small giggle. "You know, there used to be a time when people said smoking was bad for your health. They said it caused cancer and all types of wicked shit, but people don't say that nowadays. You see, the air is so bad here, smoking is probably making you live longer." He gave another weak laugh but gave up when he realized Sion was looking somehow more somber than usual.

"You saved my ass, Sion. For all you knew I was probably dead, but you risked it anyway. You saved me out there, and Helena saved me in here. And, being the brilliant young mind I am, I walk over to this table on a knee that was dislocated less than an hour ago. I'll do my best to require as little saving as possible for a while. I promise."

Alan flexed his working arm. "Good thing i'm right handed, yea? If somebody could just hand me my sword..." He chuckled a little more, hoping it would spread. Seeking a sense of humor somewhere within Sion DiBenetto was often a fruitless effort, but Alan would keep trying until he was dead. Possibly afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Noir
Master of Ceremonies
Noir

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Sion ------ DiBenetto

"M'fine," Sion shook off Alan's concern for his wound. He'd had plenty worse before today. "This'll heal up just fine in time. I'm not too worried about it. But there's a few things you need to know. I understand now why this package was so important."

He noted the fact that he had referred to Iris as "the package" instead of "the girl". Was he trying to distance himself from the events of a few minutes ago, or was he really that heartless now? He was tired of this war. Tired of the fight. Tired of the loss. He had often mused about the possibilities of alternate universes; of worlds that ran parallel to his own. Maybe, in one of them, he was sitting on the sand, looking over a blue ocean, sipping a cold drink. But here the air was stagnant with loss and death, and it seemed like every drink needed to be warm and bitter just for him to make it by. Alan had a talent for keeping optimistic in the face of all the pain. He wanted his grassy hill. That kept him moving.

"It...she," Sion corrected himself, "Wasn't normal. Latest in Ragnarok's newest little venture. They're working on genetic augmentation, Alan. Super-soldiers. Fighters that are hyper-lethal without training, and devastating without. That girl, Iris, was one of them. Only...she was a failed attempt."

The words were sour on Sion's lips. He paused a moment before continuing. "She's dead now. Out like a light, just like that. Apparently, she didn't have too much left in her when we captured her. Relayed Ragnarok's plans to me right before she...right before she left. Wanted us to know that she'd thrown her lot in with us."

Sion fell silent, staring at the table and shaking his head. "She was a kid. She was just a fuckin' kid, and they stole her away and made her into a soldier. Dragged her into a war she didn't have a hand in."

Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Alan sobered up quickly after hearing the news. He stared at the table, mirroring the other musketeer, thinking about what he really wanted to say. He wanted to avoid giving any speeches Sion had likely heard before. Alan knew he was weary of rhetoric.

Being an insurgent had aged Sion beyond his years. Yet, somehow, after seeing so much the man still hadn't become jaded and detached like other musketeers. His soldier's heart didn't stop him from caring about the death of a child. This was why Alan looked up to him. He didn't proclaim it from the rooftops like Alan did, but Sion loved life.

Having finally found the words, Alan spoke. "Even a kid with nothing left wants to live. That's why she stayed with us.
At least she was able to die with dignity here."

He looked outside as a Ragnarok patrol passed by the bar. They were combing the streets looking for their precious hardware and the terrorists that had taken it, no doubt. Alan wondered how many more years it would take for them to discover what XIII was really there for. It had been awfully lucky despite it's fated name.

"You know Sion, none of us are where we are because we chose to be. You know that right? I mean, we're not volunteers. We never chose anything. We do what we have to, and we have to stop them from doing this to more kids. It's their research group, the engineers and biologists and doctors, I know they're civilians technically, but they have to die."

Back to top Go down
Noir
Master of Ceremonies
Noir

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Sion ------ DiBenetto

"I know. Hell, no sane person would choose this job. We're fuckin' nuts, every last one of us," Sion chuckled in a rare show of humor. He was doing his best to remain lighthearted. "See, here's the irony. They're creators. They built this city. They built the armies. They fueled the regime, and they're kidnapping kids and making soldiers. They made this world we live in, and all this pain that came with it."

He drew the last dregs of his cigarette, putting the stub out on the tabletop. "Us, we're the destroyers. We're tearing this world down, whether the general public thinks we're right or not. We don't build a new world from the rubble. That's not what we're here for. But hopefully, the people who lead us can. Athos. The higher ups. Someone. But once...just once..."

Sion turned his gaze up at the ceiling fan, watching its endless journey in circles, the paneled wood accentuated by the dim light.

"...I want to be the architect of something that can bring about a better world."

He got up slowly, taking his mask off from where it hung around his neck. He set it on the table, watching the light gleam on its stark white surface.

"I'm going to go bury her. You know where the food is. Get something to eat for you and Helena. I'll be back later."

The musketeer turned and left the room.

Back to top Go down
Sevrin
Tacti-cool Masque
Sevrin

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 pm

He said it so casually: "I'm going to bury her", as if he was running his usual errands. These were his usual errands. Better world. I guess we owe that to everyone who died young.

Its hard to be the better man.. when you forget you're tryin'. Yea, it's hard to be the better man..

Alan was wasn't sure whether his orders to make dinner were serious or not. Sion had that fatherly rub-some-dirt-on-it mentality when it came to bodily harm. Yea, just get up and make dinner ya slouch. My knee is blown out, and the arm I would use to walk with a crutch is broken, but no pain no gain am I right?

Regardless of how it happened, the truth of the matter was that Alan needed something to start replenishing his blood supply. He hadn't lost a dangerous amount, but it was enough to make him weak. He had enough handicaps.

Helena was out of sight, but Alan was beginning to feel like a burden to her, so he decided not to call for help. He got up slowly, gritting his teeth, and began his long, determined limp over to Sion's pantry. He hoped the girl would be satisfied with sandwiches again because that was all he would be able to make with one hand. What he would neglect to tell her was that his two-handed cooking skill weren't much better.

Architects of a better world. Alan hummed to himself as he put the meal together. I can see it in your eyes as I taste your lips, and they both tell me that we're better than this. That's what were waitin' for. That's what were waitin' for, oh, that's what were waitin' for darlin'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: -a t h o s-   -a t h o s- - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

-a t h o s-
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Masquerade :: Roleplays :: RP Threads-
Jump to: